NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
As part of the NPD phase, Quicksand was given the mandate to design and develop a water treatment device for low-income consumer markets that would set new benchmarks for its category. The target specifications for the product were:
- a new price benchmark that was less than half the costs of existing products in the market
- a far superior usability from the point of view of product ergonomics, durability and robustness
- a comparable treatment efficacy but more stringent safe water criteria
- a product system that would make customization possible for different demographics and geographies
Quicksand collaborated with industrial design, engineering, technology and project management partners in the United States & India to steer product design and development. Our responsibilities as the product design partner included:
- Guide the product development efforts from our position as the custodian of user experience data
- Provide product design skills that leveraged our understanding of user experience with the constraints imposed by other aspects of the product strategy (namely engineering, technology, commercials, marketing and manufacturing)
- Provide resources and research expertise in testing concepts developed by the product team with users and other stakeholders directly involved in the successful adoption of the product.
From concept to functional beta prototypes, the project was successfully completed in 6 months navigating complex, multi-stakeholder collaborations across different time zones. The project team was able to meet all COGS (cost of goods sold) and UX (user experience) targets specified at the beginning of the project. PATH intends to foster commercial partnerships to introduce the products in emerging markets of India, Africa and South Asia.