Our first step in the process was to understand the existing training materials and its use in context. We also started mapping out the various cascades involved in the training and the role of different stakeholders within each cascade. Once we had an understanding of the context, training materials and the stakeholders, we went to meet the stakeholders for their first-hand experience using the training materials. Interacting with the stakeholders reiterated some of our initial assumptions about the need for improving content and visual identity, and also revealed some insights on needs and goals of the users in different cascade.
Once we were able to identify some key insights, then we created a set of design guidelines for the design of the new training materials and this led to exploring ideas for the illustration, content and visual style. One of the main challenges working on a multi lingual project involving a lot of stakeholders such as this is to validate some of our ideas from the early stage, so we created simple mock ups for each iteration and got continuous feedback. After the iterative design and testing phase, the final step was to create a set of use cases for different training materials.
Through this process, we managed to create training materials that were not just an improvement in the content and visual language but specific and relevant to people who might be using it and their goals.